1. Inspect your roof for missing, damaged, or warped shingles and have any issues fixed to prevent future leaks that could result in hidden mold issues.
2. Check for deteriorated flashing at the chimney, walls, and skylights and around vent pipes. Seal joints where water could penetrate, using roofing cement and a caulking gun.
3. Inspect your gutters and clean any debris out. Since the weight of snow and ice can pull gutters off the house, make sure they are fastened securely. Also, make sure downspouts extend away from the house by at least 5 feet to prevent flooding of the foundation and future water damage from the spring snow melt.
4. Rake up leaves and debris from the yard and pool storm drains to prevent blockages.
5. Check all vents and openings and make sure they are covered to prevent insects, birds, and rodents from getting inside.